WIAW: Long Run Day Edition

August 17, 2011

I was a bit iffy about yesterday’s post.  In fact, I actually wrote it last week and just got around to posting it because I was nervous for some reason.

I suppose I should know better by now, because you all have only ever been supportive and once again you proved to be, by assuring me we all make mistakes and that negative self-talk is something many of us struggle with.

Here’s to continuing some self love with a party to celebrate all the good things I eat after a long run day.  And let’s not forget that that long run turned out to be a mile longer than expected.  I think I owe myself a celebration.

Peas and Crayons

Thanks to the lovely Jenn for hosting the WIAW party every week and making Wednesdays a little brighter!

Pre-Run Fuel:

IMG_2374Toast with peanut butter and freezer jam.

This is my pre-run staple as of late.  Okay, it’s just my staple in general.  Yesterday, it was my post-nap snack and who knows where it will show up today, but I’m guessing it will show up.

Insert accidental 8-mile run.

Breakfast:

It’s funny, I remember having to wait for hunger to kick in after runs last year when I was training, but this time around, hunger has been showing up as soon as I come through the door.

And not normal hunger, like FEED ME NOW hunger.

So I oblige.

IMG_2355 Overnight oats topped with coffee cake, granola, peanut butter and I think I spot some chocolate hazelnut butter as well.

I had to head to work soon after, so instead of resting like a normal person might do, I whipped up a quick sack lunch dinner to take to work, which I used up all my time on and ended up eating lunch in the car on the way.  That seems to happen a lot lately.

Lunch:

IMG_2349 Leftover veggie burger and sweet potato fries.

This picture looks a lot better than the one I took of the leftovers…

Afternoon Snack:

IMG_2364 Chocolate Coconut Chew Larabar and my newest obsession: unsweetened passion tea lemonade.

So good!

Dinner:

I could show you the picture I took of what looked like just salad after I mixed everything up and all the heavy stuff fell to the bottom of the plastic container, but that sounds torturous.  Let’s just pretend it looked exactly like this.

IMG_2293 Soba noodles, greens, carrots, edamame, teriyaki tofu and sesame ginger dressing.

Except Saturday’s version had more noodles than greens and no peanuts, cilantro or scallions.

Post-work/pre-bed snack:

Okay, no picture but it involved dates and come chocolate chips.  And maybe some more peanut butter.

Clearly, an alternate title for this post would be “How many times can Lauren in eat peanut butter in one day?”

Don’t forget to stop by the party!

********************************

Do you eat differently if you’re had a hard workout?

What is your current meal/snack staple?

1. August 17, 2011 1:11 PM

Better question: how can someone NOT eat peanut butter thirty times a day?? And I sorta eat differently if I work out–as in, I’ll make a protein smoothie, and that’s pretty the only time I ever enjoy a smoothie. My post-run hunger is more immediate now, too–I wonder why that happens?

2. Errign permalink
    August 17, 2011 1:45 PM

Love pb! 🙂

Great looking lunch AND dinner – I’m jealous. And yes, Sbucks passion lemonade UNsweet is amazing!

3. August 17, 2011 2:35 PM

Overnight oats with coffee cake?!! Omg genius!

4. August 17, 2011 2:35 PM

Great eats!! YUM 🙂 happy WIAW!

5. jessgobananas permalink
    August 17, 2011 4:50 PM

I definitely eat differently if I have had a hard workout – I eat MORE lol 🙂
    My food staple as of late is a HLT sandwich – Hummus, lettuce (preferably spinach, and tomato) YUM

• August 18, 2011 11:24 AM

I’m out of hummus and it’s making me quite cranky!

6. August 17, 2011 5:26 PM

Awesome job on the run! I eat so much more on days when I have a hard workout!

7. August 17, 2011 5:37 PM

With cycling, I’m hungry right away. With running, I’m often not that hungry. It can be pretty bad- long runs often take away my hunger and I eat less than I would on a normal day! When that happens, I usually get super hungry the next day or a couple days after.

• August 18, 2011 11:24 AM

I took a nutrition class last year and we learned that exercise does turn your hunger cues off so it’s important to nourish yourself after a workout even if you don’t feel particularly hungry.

8. August 17, 2011 5:57 PM

omg i did a double take! i thought the veggie burger was a larabar burger for a second b/c of how it photographed texture wise… i was like wait what! i would still eat it if it was a larabar OR a veg burger. its all good to me! haha

• August 18, 2011 11:23 AM

BAHAHA! I wish that had been a Larabar burger. The texture of that burger was kinda weird…

9. August 17, 2011 6:28 PM

I always eat differently if I do a long run. There’s no way I want to not eat back all the fuel I have burned!

10. August 17, 2011 7:33 PM

Another awesome day of eats 🙂 I eat peanut butter multiple times a day as well…..soemtimes you just gotta have it!

11. August 17, 2011 8:33 PM

Awesome run, Lauren! My appetite tends to kind of disappear on days where I have a really hard workout, but it shows up with a vengeance on the day after. I find that, especially since I started lifting, if I wake up with really sore muscles, I can’t seem to eat enough and I’m basically making trips to the kitchen all day. As for snacks, my top 3 lately would be bananas with almond butter, cookie dough balls, and rice cakes topped with almond butter and honey.

• August 18, 2011 11:20 AM

I’m officially buying rice cakes next time I go to the store after seeing them on your blog so much!

12. August 17, 2011 10:13 PM

Haha, Peanut Butter is just so good!!! 😀 There is no reason NOT to have peanut butter like a million times a day. 🙂

13. August 19, 2011 7:49 AM

Those oats look heavenly. Such a good idea to top them with coffee cake.

14. August 19, 2011 9:38 AM

Hmm, “How many times can Heather eat peanut butter in one day?”…sounds like the title of my life…maybe I should change the name of my blog to Kiss My Peanut Butter! Haha!

My body is so finicky after hard workouts/long runs! Sometimes I can’t get to the fridge fast enough to eat after I get back in and other times, the mere thought of eating makes me ill. This morning was a mixture of the two (how fun)…I came in and decided I was going to shower and then maybe have a smoothie or something kind of light…then halfway through my shower, it was like, “omg, I’m STARVING!” I had a craving for protein pancakes but there was NO time to waste heating up a skillet so I opted for my meal staple as of late: Greek yogurt + protein powder + a whole bunch of other stuff dumped on top (don’t forget the peanut butter!)

And as if this comment wasn’t long enough…I just have to say that salad looks gorgeous! What is the sesame ginger dressing that you use? Store-bought or homemade?