The Sunday that Got Away

August 15, 2011

I swear I had every intention of posting yesterday, but my life got in the way.

And by life, I mean Ikea.

I kid you not when I say I was there for 5 hours yesterday.  And I really kid you not when I say my life will never be the same.  It’s funny because until they started building Ikea in Colorado I’d never even heard of it and kept making fun of the people who were so excited we were getting one.  Uh, yeah, I can see why they were so excited now.

It was an experience for sure.  And I of course took a total of 4 pictures.  What can I say, I was a little caught up in the moment.

The moment, which included traveling into the parking lot, guided by a slew of cones, parking attendants and policemen.  No, seriously, there were police there.

The moment, which included spending 3 hours of oooh-ing and ahhh-ing over showrooms and feeling like a lemming in the crowd of people.

The moment, which included a lunch break that had me feeling like I was standing in line for a ride at Disneyland.  “Can I please get a Fast Pass for this?”

IMG_2365When in Rome Ikea, do as the Swedish do.

Crepes + Lingonberry jam and juice.

I also stole a few bites of Joey’s “Chocolate Overload Cake.”  Verdict: Aptly named.

In all seriousness, Ikea is amazing.  I found it to be reasonably priced unreasonably affordable, well organized and amazingly thought-out.

You can pick up a “wish list” of sorts and write down the numbers on the furniture, so once you get to the warehouse you just need to find the aisle and bin number and grab the piece you wanted.

I felt like I was in Gringotts.  You know, from Harry Potter? <—- Nerd alert!

Or maybe Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory.

And you can even use the free lockers to store your giant glass salad bowl while you finish your shopping.

You’re less likely to forget about your locker if you have a giant dice with an elephant on it in your purse.

Apparently, it’s embarrassing to pose for a picture with your cart full of stuff in the middle of the aisle.

I can only think of one thing embarrassing about this picture and it involves a giant whale.

We really weren’t positive we were even going to buy anything but the prices were too good to pass up so we left with an giant entertainment center, a giant mirror, two small coffee tables and a picture to hand over our couch.

You’ll see it all in due time, my friends.

And by due time, I mean when we manage to find a hammer.

IMG_2370Something told me our downstairs neighbors were not going to appreciate Joey using the handle of a screwdriver as a hammer at 11 PM.

In other weekend news, I kicked off the weekend with a trip to Target for some $6 clogs (that I of course did not take a picture of.  Do I sense a theme here?) and headed out with my mom and sister for some Friday night fun.

First, dinner at Turley’s in Boulder.

IMG_2348  Decaf Iced Spice Tea.

So.dang.good.

IMG_2349Veggie burger with sweet potato fries and guacamole.

Meh.

IMG_2351Peach cobbler and vanilla bean ice cream.

Mom, yours is much much better.

But the real event of the night was seeing Romeo and Juliet at the Shakespeare Festival, which is held on CU campus.

Perhaps it’s because I’m an English nerd and have voluntarily taken not one, but two Shakespeare classes, but I love the Shakespeare Festival.

I can see how most a lot of people might hate Shakespeare and think all those plays are boring and hard to understand, but I happen to think the guy was a creative genius and I love to see the performances and the way the actors chose to deliver the lines.

In other words, this performance blew me away.  But then again, so did last year’s.

I made sure to take a picture outside the theater, lest I should get yelled at again.

And, for those of you interested…

__________________________________________

This week in half marathon training:

I was scheduled to do another 7 miler, but it accidentally turned into an 8-miler.

Explanation: Joey (who is training for a full marathon) needed to run 15, so we ran the first 6.25 together, then parted ways.  I ran the last .75 miles back to our apartment and once I got there I realized Joey still had the key!!  Joey, you know, who was off running another 8 miles.  I prayed I could catch up to him or that he might realize he had the key so I ran back down to where we’d split, then realized it was going to be a futile search and turned back around.  I waited on our porch for a while until a breathless Joey sprinted up the stairs.  He realized he had the key, turned around early and ran a few 7-minute miles to get back to our apartment as fast as possible!

Needless to say, I don’t think either of us will be making that mistake again.

Otherwise, all I have to report is that unlike Mr. 7-Minute Miles, I’ve lost all semblance of speed and have been hanging around in the 10-minute mile range during long runs, okay all runs and surprisingly, I haven’t cared one bit.  Speed shmeed.

_____________________________________________

Well, I must say, it was one long, busy, fun weekend, but it’s Monday and time to get back to the grind.

The grind for today being hot power fusion yoga and a closing shift at work.

I’m off!

******************************

What did you do this weekend?

Ever been to Ikea?

Someone please tell me they enjoy Shakespeare!!

1. August 15, 2011 11:27 AM

I’m a 10 minute mile range person and I have just stopped caring. Who cares as long as you do it? 8 miles is very respectable.. nice job!
    I went to Ikea for the first time when we moved into our house at the end of June… holy crap! I am not allowed to go there alone with any form of money. Ryan really had to control me. So fun.

• August 16, 2011 3:48 PM

I figure doing long distances is impressive enough without doing them at fast speeds as well. Ha ha I don’t think I should be trusted there with money either!!

2. August 15, 2011 11:42 AM

Looks like an awesome weekend! Ikea changed my life too when I first went. 75% of the furniture in our house is from Ikea. The only part we hate about it is putting the furniture together afterwards…but it’s still worth the crazy good prices. And I can totally appreciate the Shakespeare love, I used to read Hamlet once a year every year because I was so enamored with his genius. Romeo and Juliet is a great one to see on stage!

• August 16, 2011 3:50 PM

Yesss, I knew someone else had to like Shakespeare! Hamlet is a classic. Okay, they all are, but you know what I mean 😛

3. August 15, 2011 4:30 PM

Being a English Lit and History major, I think its madetory I say I like Shakespeare! And who doesnt like IKEA?! Glad you guys had fun! great pics haah 🙂

4. August 15, 2011 7:25 PM

Ooo girl I LOVE Ikea, and I definitely know what you mean about being able to spend the entire day there. My whole room right now could basically be an Ikea ad, and I was thinking about decorating my new place that way, but I’ve been shopping around to see what else I can find. And the food is good too! They have these cream filled cookies and gingersnaps that I just adore. This weekend I did some furniture shopping (not in Ikea), saw The Help, strolled around my new ‘hood, and just spent time with the fam.

• August 16, 2011 3:52 PM

Time spent with the family is always time well spent 🙂

5. August 15, 2011 7:43 PM

The last time I went to IKEA, I sliced my heel open with my cart. True story – find it here: http://cleaneatingchelsey.com/2010/07/15/one-of-those-days/

You should remember it – you commented! 🙂

6. August 15, 2011 10:21 PM

Sweet potato fries, Guacamole, AND a Veggie burger?! PLUS ICE CREAM???!!! That looks AMAZING! I love Shakespeare. Especially the Twelfth Night. I have loved that one since I was a little girl living in England.

• August 16, 2011 3:56 PM

You lived in England?! No way!! I must admit, even though that meal didn’t blow me away, it sure does look good. Twelfth Night is definitely a good one, what with all the cross dressing and what not 🙂

7. August 17, 2011 2:34 PM

And I thought I had it bad when I got bamboozled into a 4 mile run. I gotta turn it up a notch to get to 8 miles. Great job
    p.s. Ikea > Disneyland.

8. August 19, 2011 10:01 AM

I am SOOOO jealous that you have an Ikea! The closest one to me is like 7-8 hours away! I’ve never been before, but I have wasted (wasted?…INVESTED) several hours on their website! I always load up “my cart” and then delete it all after I’m finished looking! Haha!

I LOVE Shakespeare! It may take me for-freaking-ever to read one of his plays, but I absolutely LOVE watching them! We have a theater in Nashville that I went to once to see Romeo & Juliet and it was outstanding! And I know it’s got a TOTALLY different (modern) spin on it, but my favorite movie is Ten Things I Hate About You! 🙂

I’m sorry, but I had to laugh a little at the story about the key! It reminded me of the time that my ex was out in the backyard at the house doing some yard work when I left to run a few errands. What I didn’t know was that he had gone out the garage door to get to the backyard…and when I left I closed the garage door…oops! I came home to him laying on the back porch in a puddle of sweat! Haha! (Believe me, it’s only funny now!)