WIAW: Moving Edition

August 3, 2011

Oh, heyyyy.  I know I’ve only been away for a few days, but it’s seriously felt like an eternity and I even received a few emails wondering if I was still alive.

Okay, I didn’t, but I’m sure that’s what you were all wondering.

And I can’t even use the “we didn’t have internet” excuse because we’ve had that set up since Monday night!  I guess I’ve just been plain busy and plain tired.  And I never want to paint a room ever again.  What a pain in the ass!  On the upside, I love the color of our room (thanks, Uncle!).

I promise to share more pictures of the move in and such at a later date and time, but for now, it’s Wednesday and you know what that means.

Peas and Crayons

I don’t mind taking a blogging break to move, but I just can’t turn down a party invitation!  Plus if Jenn can manage to host the party in the midst of a move herself, then the least I can do is show up.

Pre-run snack:

IMG_2202 Shriveled date.

Note to self: buy more dates!

Breakfast:

IMG_2206 Overnight Oats: oatmeal, almond milk, chia seeds, 1/2 of an extremely ripe banana and one small peach.

Topped with buckwheat (I needed some crunch and am out of granola!!), chocolate hazelnut butter and coconut butter.

Sadly, the peach was not as sweet as I’d hoped and it added too much of a bitter taste to this bowl 😦

Luckily, all bad tastes can be masked by copious amounts of nut butter.

I won’t even bore you with the story of how I went to the grocery and once at the checkout, realized I didn’t have my wallet.

One hour and one extra trip back to the store later, I returned home frustrated, annoyed and hungry!

Early-afternoon snack:

IMG_2209 Handful of dry roasted almonds and raisins.

I was about to tackle the other half of our room and needed some painting fuel.

Lunch:

IMG_2210 Meatless meatloaf muffins, best pesto ever, whole wheat tortilla.

We (and by we, I mean Joey) made Mama Pea’s meatless meatloaf muffins last week and I requested that we double the recipe, meaning we had 24 muffins on our hands.  These were the last two 😦  I don’t know what I’m going to do without these handheld (at least for those of us who are opposed to forks), easy to heat, transport and eat minis.

Oh, right, I can just make more.

And I will.

IMG_2211 I needed to take a bite immediately, obviously.

IMG_2213 Black plum on the side.

2nd note to self: share recipe for best pesto ever.

Seriously, you need that recipe in your life.

Of course, you will have to bookmark and save it for next year, as it involves garlic scapes and I’m fairly sure they’re out of season.

What most people consider dinnertime snack:

IMG_2220 Salt and pepper popcorn.

It was already evening and Joey and his dad still had to move a bunch more stuff over to the new place and my family was planning on coming over to see everything so I knew dinner would be a late one and planned accordingly.

Just as I expected…

9 PM dinner:

IMG_2224  Summer Squash and Chive Pancakes.

From here.

Oh, sorry, I was having a moment with these.

10 points for ease and cuteness(?).  Unfortunately, Joey and I both thought these were lacking in the flavor department.  I’m sure I could re-make them and remedy that problem, but I rarely get around to re-making recipes, especially ones that didn’t absolutely wow me that I don’t see it happening.

Bummer.

Served with fire-roasted tomato soup…out of a carton <— I’m not above buying pre-made soups when I’m crunched for kitchen time.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have about a million things to do, including laundry and more unpacking.  Joy!…

Happy WIAW!

**********************************************

Have you ever had savory pancakes?

Do you get hung up on specific meal times?  I.e. dinner at 6 PM, instead of 9 (oops!).  Clearly, I don’t.

1. August 3, 2011 10:41 AM

I definitely have not had savory pancakes before, Idk how I feel about that lol I usually have dinner at like 7 unless I’m eating out 🙂

2. August 3, 2011 10:49 AM

I wanna see pics of your new place! I’m trying to pick paints and patterns for mine before I move, and I need some inspiration. But ugh… I don’t wanna think about how tiring the move is going to be. I wish we could just skip the whole packing/unpacking process, and just snap our fingers and be moved in 😀 I’ve never tried savory pancakes, but I HAVE tried savory oats, if that counts 😉 And I’m not usually too hung up about meal times, but I find that my body tends to get hungry at the same times everyday, so I just go with that.

3. August 3, 2011 11:56 AM

I rarely remake recipes that COULD be better, too. I want it right the first time! Or only minor tweaking involved. That meatloaf looks gooood, went ahead and bookmarked that recipe for future use, would make an easy lunch to take to work. And ONE date is most certainly not enough date 😀

Glad you got a brief break from moving, looking forward to hearing about the new place!

• August 3, 2011 12:17 PM

It’s funny you should say one date isn’t enough because I was starving on my run!! Bad choice.

4. August 3, 2011 3:04 PM

love the idea of savory pancakes! *drool* can’t wait to see more of the house 🙂

5. August 3, 2011 6:59 PM

Congrats on finishing the “move” part of moving. I’m impressed that you got any cooking done!
    I’ve had potato pancakes- I used to get the greasy kind that serve at places like Dennys when I was a young vegan and had nothing else to eat at the resturants my family chose.

• August 4, 2011 2:03 PM

I’m surprised I got any done too! Are potato pancakes the same as latkes? I’ve had those and wasn’t too thrilled with how greasy they were.

6. August 3, 2011 7:32 PM

Okay I’m totally making those pancakes tomorrow – I have a huge zucchini and lots of chives!

7. August 3, 2011 8:06 PM

We used to eat late in our pre-kid days, but now we are pretty much scheduled dinner eaters. Sorry about the grocery shopping/wallet fail. What a pain!

• August 4, 2011 2:03 PM

It truly was! I’m betting adding kids to the mix really changes your meal practices!

8. August 4, 2011 12:24 AM

I have NEVER had savory pancakes before — those sound AMAZING!

9. August 4, 2011 8:50 AM

My favorite kind of pancakes are cornbread pancakes! So that counts as savory, right?

As for times, I basically just eat when I can/when I’m hungry. My schedule is always super random, so I just eat when I can! 🙂

• August 4, 2011 2:04 PM

I’ve never had cornbread pancakes but they sound great! Do they taste like cornbread but in a pancake shape?

10. August 4, 2011 11:53 AM

wow those pancakes looks so good and fancypancy!

11. August 4, 2011 12:38 PM

def going to have to try mamma pea’s meatless meatloaf minis! ahhh! they look so awesome! esp rolled up with pesto! genius =)

good luck getting settled darling! i’m right there with ya w/ the moving chaos!