Post-Birthday Post

July 28, 2011

Yesterday was my mom’s birthday.  I can’t think of anyone more deserving of a day that’s all about them 🙂  Although something tells me she didn’t let it be all about her, considering she agreed to work on a few clients (she’s a massage therapist!) on her own birthday!  <—- proof of her selflessness.

Do we look alike?

She passed on the freckles, but certainly not the tan complexion.

Thanks a lot, Mom.

She requested that we have breakfast at Chautauqua Park in Boulder and it couldn’t have been a more beautiful morning for eating breakfast out on the patio right next to the mountains.

Fact: Chautauqua is such a difficult word to spell.  I pride myself on knowing how to do it.

Fact: I’m totally smitten with Boulder in the summer 🙂

After I sat at the table by myself for 20 minutes (read: my family has the inability to be on time for ANYTHING), we ordered and the birthday girl opened her presents while we waited for our food.

I’m totally distracted right now by the faces my sister is making.

And the fact that she’s filing her nails in this picture.

Because who doesn’t like giving away pictures of themselves as presents?

In addition to my narcissistic gift (just kidding, I swear she asked for that picture), my sister, Joey (who was there in spirit), and I also got her tickets to the Shakespeare Festival.  Romeo and Juliet, here we come!

And because this is a food blog after all…

Boulder Omelet, home fries, whole wheat toast.

Goat cheese!

I sometimes find veggie omelets to be a bit bland but thanks to the goat cheese I’m guessing, this one was pretty flavorful.

Fact: You go to the Chautauqua Dining Hall for the patio seating and gorgeous scenery, more than you go for the food.

I made the mistake of telling the waiter it was my mom’s birthday and he brought out cake.  At 10 AM.

Flourless chocolate cake with what I assume was whipped cream and a raspberry jam of sorts.

Awwww.”

And no visit to Chautauqua is complete without a stroll through the grounds.

Itty bitty strawberries, anyone?

Of course my dad has to play with the water spout on this rock. <—– what a boy!

Coolest street name ever?

And then I went home and made this fluorescent pesto.

But that’s neither here nor there.

Here’s to hoping my mom enjoyed her birthday as much as I did! 🙂

***************************************

What did you do for your last birthday?

Do you have a park like this in your hometown?  There’s also a concert hall at Chautauqua and my parents once saw a bear there!

1. July 28, 2011 5:41 PM

aww I think you two do look alike! that street name is hilarious, the ones near my house are all named after WW1 battles…weird I know! My last bday ( my 18th) I had a 1940’s themed muder mystery party 🙂 yeah I’m cool like that!

• July 29, 2011 11:23 AM

Oh my gosh, that’s so cool! I wish I had friends who threw parties like that.

2. July 28, 2011 6:10 PM

We have a Kinnikinnic Rd, too. I’ve actually seen it a couple of times and have been wondering what it means for it to be rather popular…lol.

Your sister cracks me up – love that she’s got a nail file on her 😛

Happy B-Day to your mama!

3. July 28, 2011 6:17 PM

I actually don’t think I did anything for my last birthday.

• July 29, 2011 11:22 AM

As long as that’s how you wanted the day to turn out, doing nothing is totally okay!

4. July 28, 2011 7:19 PM

Awww such a sweet day, and I totally give pictures of my kids as presents to their grandparents!!

5. July 28, 2011 8:05 PM

What a beautiful place to celebrate your mom’s birthday! That meal looks delicious, too. I honestly don’t think I have a park that nice anywhere near me! I wish I did though!

6. July 28, 2011 9:26 PM

you and your mom are so cute 🙂 you definitely look alike!

7. July 28, 2011 9:55 PM

I’m not even going to attempt to spell out the name of that park, and I’m incredibly impressed that you can! I’m glad to hear that your mom had such an awesome birthday. I was wondering what was in that present when you showed it on your last post, and I think that giving your mom a pic of you and her is the sweetest thing 😀 And your sister just makes me LOL.

8. July 29, 2011 7:13 AM

My last birthday (nearly a year ago now…b-day is coming up soon!) was my first full day back in Colorado after moving back from Hartford. It was relaxed but amazing. This year, I hope it’s similar. I need some quality R & R time in my life, and what better opportunity for that than a birthday!

9. ADunn permalink
    July 29, 2011 8:24 AM

If you scroll down this page really fast, it is like one of those cartoon flip books of your mom. It’s almost like I was there watching her open her present! Not to mention, that pesto. I only wish I could have eaten that on my birthday! Is that from your plant? My parents are growing literaly 4 different kinds of basil this year. I’m curious what kind you used!

• July 29, 2011 11:20 AM

I made it with garlic scapes and spinach, actually. My basil plant… well, I’m pretty sure it’s dead…
      I hope your parents have better luck!

10. milehighmark permalink
    July 29, 2011 9:22 AM

Such a cute family you all are! 🙂 And I appreciate the fact that you keep snapping photos as Beanie makes some pretty funny facial expressions. Well done older sister, well done.

• July 29, 2011 11:18 AM

And I appreciate that you know which sister is older. You wouldn’t believe how many people think I’m the younger one!

11. July 29, 2011 10:37 AM

What a super fun birthday!! Love all the family pics 😀

12. July 29, 2011 11:46 AM

I don’t remember what I did for my last birthday. That’s pitiful isn’t it? Old age senility already??? ha. I hope that this year I have a cake that looks as good as that chocolate one though – that’s for sure!

13. July 29, 2011 2:00 PM

Happy belated birthday to your mom! She looks like she had a great time–and what a beautiful setting.