Why I Don’t Do Resolutions

December 29, 2011

I’m a list-maker down to my very core.

In fact, my girlfriends and I used to have a “Book of Lists,” where we had a list of qualities a dateable male had to have and a list of things we would have when we “grew up.” That’s normal, right?

I wonder where that book is now. Anyways, point is, I like making lists, so this may come as a shock to you, but I don’t do resolutions anymore.

“A giant list of things you want to change about yourself or your lifestyle? What do you mean you don’t do that? It’s like a list lover’s dream!”

201112281732.jpg

No, it’s not because I think I’m perfect. It’s because I don’t get the whole, wait till the first of the year to start being a better person.

If you want to drink more water, drink more water today.

If you want to start exercising regularly, do it now.

If you want to stop looking at your phone while driving, do it this minute. But then remember to read the rest of this post later.

201112281740.jpg

The way I see it, putting things off till the new year is just a way of avoiding something you don’t really want to do. And if you don’t really want to do it, how do you expect to stick to it come January 1st?

201112281741.jpg

So instead of making a giant overwhelming list of things I have to do, I try to be proactive on a daily basis.

Today, I put my phone away when I got in the car, went to yoga instead of saying “I should go to yoga” and tonight I’m going to bed early. No need to wait two more days to do any of those things.

*********************************

Do you do New Year’s resolutions?

If you do, do you find it works for you?

1. December 29, 2011 10:39 AM

i try every year to make resolutions and the only one that i stuck with was the one from last year. Which was wight loss. A year later, I’ve achieved it and totally changed my life for the better. Now that I’m a much happier, healthier, motivated person I’m going to try and make some 2012 resolutions that i know i can do/improve on and try my best to stick to them

2. December 29, 2011 1:08 PM

I don’t do the whole resolution thing either. I do try and make goals, but I do weekly and monthly goals. Setting a goal for the whole year will do nothing but set me up for failure.

3. December 29, 2011 1:56 PM

Of course all of these things you said make sense but they’re still kind of fun to have. I don’t make resolutions like, “Drink more water” (Which I could do NOW) but instead things like, “Get you med apps done,” or “Run another marathon”… things that take time but I still want to do (and could put off another year.)

• December 29, 2011 2:26 PM

I was just thinking that things you can’t do NOW are a totally different story. Good point!

4. December 29, 2011 3:21 PM

I make a few resolutions every year, easier ones that I know can happen πŸ™‚

5. December 29, 2011 8:39 PM

Very well put! I agree, although I do make resolutions every year, but not the usual ones that most people talk about. I do resolutions for a goal that I want to accomplish. For example, a few years ago it was to have some of the rooms in my house painted. It is something that I couldn’t just say I want this done so I am going to do it…..because you know it cost money, but it was something that I knew I wanted to do. Something that I knew I would have to save mone for, make a plan. So my resolution was to have it accomplished by the end of the year. That is how I make my resolutions, it is more of a goal πŸ™‚