Reading List

November 8, 2011
tags:

I went through this stage where I “hated reading.”

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn?  Oh please, I had better things to be doing during high school.  Like eating Oreos dipped in peanut butter for breakfast with my girlfriends.  Even then my peanut butter addiction had no bounds.

It’s funny that after “hating reading” for so long, I ended up as an English major.  Who practically lived, breathed and ate books.  Figuratively speaking, although if a book was dipped in peanut butter I might consider eating it.

Eventually, I went back to my roots.  My 8-year old “I have to finish just one more chapter of Sweet Valley High before I go to bed” roots and have fully embraced my literature loving self.  So when I finally finished Atlas Shrugged on Sunday morning (please don’t look back to see when I started reading that book, I’ll be embarrassed and it would probably take you hours to look back that far), I was at a loss because I had nothing to read next.  The horror.

Solution: Phone call to Mom.

Now I have a list.

I have another list, too.

Things I’m not reading:

• Anything longer than 600 pages… tops
  • Anything by Jane Austen
  • Anything with political undertones
  • Anything about sparkly vampires or love sick teens who can’t have physical contact because they might be tempted to drink each others’ blood
  • Anything by Alice Sebold — sorry to all you fans, but The Lovely Bones was thee worst book I’ve ever read…period

Everything else is fair game.

**********************************************

Have you read any of the above books?

Do you have any other recommendations?

Do you enjoy reading? I believe everyone likes to read, it just might not be novels 🙂

1. November 8, 2011 10:57 AM

Oo some of those are my list too!

2. November 8, 2011 11:31 AM

I was a HUGE reader as a kid and became an English major in college too but somewhere along the way I stopped reading for pleasure…I haven’t read a fiction book for pleasure in years and years. It’s very sad! I hope that I after I graduate I’ll be able to find time for reading again. Enjoy your books!

3. November 8, 2011 11:44 AM

I’m an obsessive reader. I too “eat” books 😉

I’m big on true crime murder mysteries and also some chiclit (to balance out all the morbidness!)

4. November 8, 2011 12:29 PM

Oh thanks for sharing. I just added to my list 🙂

But I will admit that I have and will happily read lovesick vampire can’t come near you suck your blood book…..but only the Twilight ones. I stay away from the other vampire books. I have to admit that I am hooked on the Twilight series, but mainly for the whole love someone so much can’t live without them concept. It is just good junk food for the brain!

5. November 8, 2011 1:38 PM

The first one is on my list. It’s actually my book club’s book this month, but I won’t finish it in time. I’m working on Unbroken now. It’s graphic and intense, but man is it good!

6. brittney permalink
    November 8, 2011 2:12 PM

I didn’t like The Lovely Bones either!
    I’ve been on the sixth page of The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest for about six month. I don’t know what’s wrong with me, normally I would eat it up!

7. November 8, 2011 2:48 PM

I loved reading as a kid but don’t read for fun now with homework all the time. I do miss it, but even when I’m on breaks from class I feel like I “can’t” read because chances are I won’t finish the book before class starts again.

8. November 8, 2011 2:49 PM

Cutting for stone is a fabulous book!

9. November 8, 2011 2:51 PM

I also like:
    Open by Andre Agassi
    Room by Emma Donoghue
    The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
    The Immmortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
    Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
    Pink Boots and a Machete by Mireya Mayor (If you only read one, READ THIS ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    Don’t Kill the Birthday Girl by Sandra Beasley

Yeah, I don’t really have the reading list of your average 14 year old!

10. Colleen permalink
    November 8, 2011 3:01 PM

Oh my gosh I love this post. You and mom, little readers. You two are quite the peas yourselves!!!

11. November 8, 2011 4:12 PM

Lauren, I LOVED The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. I will look forward to hearing what you think of it. Although I did after initially resisting it, enjoy the Lovely Bones, her next book was JUST DREADFUL!! I’m glad you decided to stay away from her.

12. November 8, 2011 4:12 PM

P.S. I thought The Women was just ok.

13. November 8, 2011 5:25 PM

I like your picks! I defs want to read some of these 😀

14. Christine permalink
    November 8, 2011 6:29 PM

The Thorn Birds, The Time Traveler’s Wife, and Outlander. I think all 3 of them *should* be under 600 pages.

15. Christine permalink
    November 8, 2011 6:30 PM

P.S. The Glass Castle, as mentioned by someone else, is AWESOME. Read it and it amazed and shocked at the author’s memory of her childhood.

16. Sheila aka Mom permalink
    November 8, 2011 7:41 PM

That’s my girl! Forgot to mention one other book. I’m dying to read the Steve Jobs biography cause I really do want to know why you can’t change the battery in the iPhone and why the headphones are white. Rarely do I read non-fiction but I’m willing to give this one a try. I also have Snow Flower and the Secret Fan on my kindle so I’ll let you know about that one. Loved this post. What could be better than reading about you and books!