This or That?

June 20, 2011

Normally Monday would be a run day – sandwiched between rest day Sunday and yoga day Tuesday – but, it looked like this outside.

image

Rain rain, go away.  Come again some other day.

So I did this instead.

Milk/banana-less hot oats.  Please send me to the grocery store.

How I’ve missed tea.

Especially this kind.

With these kinds of messages.

Really resisting the urge to draw in a coma after “By listening.”

And instead of dragging my butt to the gym to run on the dreaded treadmill dreadmill, I did this.

Looking over Father’s Day pictures of my new baby niece, Belle Sohpia 🙂

Proud Daddy.  Love you, brother!

So instead of forcing myself to do something I don’t want to, I think I’ll do this.

Looks like I need to go buy some dirt.

image

And probably some of this.

I know your jealous of my polka dot pajamas.

Or lots of this.

I’m not advocating that always put exercise off for another day, I’m just advocating that you do what makes you happy and remember you can always run later 🙂

Do you give yourself a break when you just don’t really feel like exercising or do you just grin a bear it?

1. June 20, 2011 6:26 PM

It depends on why I don’t feel like it. If I don’t feel like working out because I’m exhausted, I give myself a break. If I just feel lazy, then I”ll go.

• June 21, 2011 3:01 PM

Good point, Chelsey! I think I was just feeling lazy yesterday…

2. June 20, 2011 6:36 PM

I think rainy days call for reading and relaxing 🙂
    As for giving myself a break? I’m usually pretty good at figuring out whether I’m just being lazy and thinking up excuses or just plain tired. If I’m just tired, I rest. If I’m being lazy, I usually just kick my butt and do whatever I’ve got planned. I’ve never regretted it and as soon as I get a minute or two in I enjoy it anyways.

3. June 20, 2011 6:52 PM

Love! I’m definitely an advocate of giving yourself a break if you’re really not feeling it. I used to force myself to exercise no matter what, and I just started hating it and never wanting to do it at all. Nowadays, if I’m feeling lazy I’ll try to push myself a little bit and say “okay, lace up the sneakers and start… if you still hate it after a few minutes, then you can quit” and I usually start to enjoy it and keep at it; but if my body is tired, then I give it a rest… Life is about way more than exercise anyways.

• June 21, 2011 3:00 PM

I sometimes do the “put your workout clothes on and see how you feel” trick. Sometimes the hardest part is lacing up your sneakers!

4. Katherine permalink
    June 20, 2011 8:56 PM

Breaks are great, and needed 🙂
    Esp when you get to read in those PJs 😀

5. June 20, 2011 10:52 PM

Adorable baby! Congrats to you and your family!
    Sometimes I give myself a break.. sometimes I force myself to do it. Other times, I’ll ask my boyfriend to go with me so that I don’t let myself back out of it. But that also depends on the activity/ distance/ time.
    For example.. my long run this week was supposed to be on Friday, but by the time I was ready to go, it was way too hot. So I didn’t work out at all and instead told my boyfriend to drop me off at the starting point the next day to help keep me motivated.

6. The Teenage Taste permalink
    June 21, 2011 6:49 AM

It depends for me. If I know I really, really have to then I will workout, but if not I’ll just skip it. It’s only one day without exercise, so it’s not gonna kill me.
    Have a great day! Hope the rain stops!

7. June 21, 2011 8:10 AM

Unfortunately my “break” from exercising is constant and indefinite…I’ve never been good at keeping up with it. The baby is SOO cute, congrats to your family!!!

• June 21, 2011 2:59 PM

It can be really easy to let one day off turn into another day off and the next and the next, etc. I think you have to find something you really enjoy or it just won’t stick.

8. June 21, 2011 1:56 PM

Congratulations on the new baby! New babies are the greatest aren’t they 🙂

I totally agree with you on lazy days. I love days like that. It does a body good sometimes to just kick back and do nothing at all!!

• June 21, 2011 2:57 PM

I certainly don’t think there’s anything wrong with occasionally wanting to relax 🙂

9. June 21, 2011 9:54 PM

Congrats on your new little niece! How adorable! You must be so happy to be an aunt…I am a big advocate of just chilling out if you really feel like you need it.

P.S. Wasn’t that rain ridiculous? Of course, of all the possible days this week, that was the day I was scheduled to take the high schoolers to a high ropes course in the mountains and go camping. Needless to say, it was soggy. Some delicious nighttime smores made up for the rain in the end though….truth be told, smores make up for anything that goes awry while camping.

10. milehighmark permalink
    June 23, 2011 9:10 AM

Ha. I like that you buy the basil plant and then consult the world of Google to see what that baby needs. That’s totally my style. Just in time learning.