The Difference an Egg Makes

April 9, 2011

Or does it?

Lately, I’ve been in the habit of adding an egg white to my oatmeal.  Why?  So I can further increase my cholesterol level, of course.

Kidding.  I’ve heard egg whites turn regular oatmeal into a creamy dreamy delight.  Okay, maybe those exact words weren’t used but you get the point.

I’ve been loving on this egg-y technique all week (ooh, rhyming!), but it occurred to me that maybe the egg white wasn’t making my oatmeal fluffier or creamier and so what if those two words mean the same thing, I can use both if I want.

The only way to know for sure was to do a side by side comparison.

Pre egg whitage.

002

004 - Copy (2)

Post egg whitage.

005 - Copy (2)

006 - Copy (2)

I have to be honest folks, I’m not seeing much of a difference here.

Gah, and I was so sure it was making a difference!  This is what we call the placebo effect.

But we all know the toppings are the important part anyways.

007

008

This week my sister asked me, “How do you decide what to put on your oats?  I have a hard enough time picking out what socks to wear.”

Maybe that’s why she missed the bus today.

Anyways, dear sister, who says you have to pick and choose?  I just put it all Smile

009 - Copy

And the most important element is the tiny spoon, of course.  P.S. are you loving the bright colors going on in these pictures?  I am, very Spring-ish.

010 - Copy

Things to do this weekend:

• Trivia
  • Return half the clothes I bought yesterday…
  • Get a massage
  • LOTS of paper writing/editing Sad smile
  • Breakfast with my long lost brother and SIL (it’s been too long!)

Have a good one, friends!

1. April 9, 2011 6:11 AM

I agree – no need to pick and choose when you can have it ALL!! 🙂

2. April 9, 2011 6:52 AM

The more the better if you ask me!

Oh my gosh my spoon looks the exact same hahaa

3. April 9, 2011 9:40 AM

I have those spoons too! Your oats look delish, btw.

4. April 9, 2011 11:02 AM

I love using small spoons too. And I completely agree, there’s no such thing as having to pick only one oatmeal topping. 😉

5. April 9, 2011 12:26 PM

I was never really a fan of the egg white in oatmeal….maybe I didn’t cook it enough though??
    LOVE your photos!! Those spoons are so cute and I love that orange bowl 😀

6. April 9, 2011 1:47 PM

I always used to add an egg white to my oatmeal (when I wasn’t pretty much vegan, as I am now).
    Maybe it doesn’t do much for the texture/taste but its worth it for the protein boost!
    LOVE the photos of your oats… toppings are the best!

7. April 9, 2011 4:56 PM

I eat egg whites, but never though go put them in oats. Might need to try this next time, thanks for the tip! Really enjoyed reading your blog.

8. April 9, 2011 5:02 PM

Love the oats! I always thought the egg white made a difference although I’ve never experimented with it before. When it comes to oats I’m a total topping whore, I can’t pick one lol