Peaches and Pesto
Are delicious! Separately, of course. Breakfast was Jenny inspired.
Peaches & Cream Oats:
- Boil 1 cup water
- Add 1/2 cup oats
- Cook 12 minutes covered on low
- With one minute remaining mix in 1/2 diced peach + 1T peach jam
- Top with remaining peach slices + a dollop of yogurt (I used Honey Noosa)
Peaches are truly magical
I enjoyed a day of R & R yesterday (after getting the 3-miler out of the way) all thanks to Joey, who was a laundry/cooking machine! Check out this gourmet dish he whipped up while I laid in bed and watched Intervention for hours upon hours.
Cornflake-Crusted Halibut Tilapia with Chile-Cilantro Aioli — you may have noticed we’re sliightly reliant on recipes. We’re working on this, I promise.
Full-Proof Green Beans/Asparagus:
- cut ends off beans or snap ends off asparagus
- drizzle with olive oil, s + p
- mix veggies around
- broil for ~10-15 minutes
Ended the night with my two favorite things: calf massage & Seinfeld
NOTE: I literally used to plan my day around Seinfeld so I could watch a total of 4 episodes a day. A little ridiculous, I know. Until yesterday I hadn’t watched in MONTHS! So good to get some Sein in. By the way, we’re seeing him at Caesar’s Palace while we’re in Vegas later this month — SOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!
After taking a break from doing the cooking, I was anxious to get back in the kitchen this morning.
Oh yes, garlic scape pesto WAS made!
This green definitely rivals the color of my kitchen! I haven’t had a chance to try this yet, but it smelled HEAVENLY and was really very easy to make. I got a little nervous because my mini food processor has been known to cause me trouble but it turned out just like it was supposed to, joy!
You can check out Angela’s page for both the pesto and the cheese recipe, OR you can just check it out here:
Vegan Parmesan “Cheese”:
- 1/2 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 2T nutritional yeast
- 1/4t salt
- Toast sesame seeds in the oven till you notice them getting brown (I put the oven on 350*)
- Put seeds, yeast and salt in the food processor
- Process for ~30 seconds, et voila!
Vegan Garlic Scape Pesto:
- 2 garlic scapes
- 1 cup vegan parmesan “cheese”
- <1/4 cup olive oil
- ~T fresh lemon juice
- handful of spinach
- a few basil leaves (optional)
- Cut the scapes into smaller pieces (see picture)
- Process scapes and lemon juice till fine
- Add cheese slowly in 1/3 increments, alternating with the oil
- Process till the pesto reaches desired consistency
- Add handful of spinach and basil leaves, process
- Prepare yourself for the greeny goodness you’re about to consume!
I plan on cooking some pasta, chopping up some tomatoes and mixing in this pesto for dinner! It’s the only thing getting me through work today.
After I quit my job, I enjoyed some fresh air in the shade on campus. Wait, back up. I quit my job?? CLARIFICATION:I quit one of my jobs. For the past two years, I’ve worked as the receptionist in the Anthropology department, but they decided they didn’t have enough work for me to do over the summer so I was forced to find a new on-campus summer job. I got one at the library and as it turns out the library job allows me LOTS of time for homework, plus I get to work with kids my own age. I was planning on going back to Anthro in the fall, but my library job just works much better for me so I’ll be staying here next year. I had to inform my boss in the Anthro department today. Bittersweet, but I would much rather stay in the library so it had to be done.
Last, but not least, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY BIG BROTHER, GABE!