10 Things That May Surprise You
1. It’s still winter.
I keep hoping on days like yesterday (when it was upper 50′s and I was trouncing around in short sleeves… okay, it was three-quarter sleeves, but still!) that we’ll just be done with cold weather, but the fact that it snowed not once, but twice last week is a harsh harsh reminder that it’s still very much winter.
2. It’s perfectly normal to have two laptops open and be working on them at the same time.
I kind of give up on thinking writing a post will be a simple process. I keep jumping between computers, one that has Windows Live Writer on it and the other that moves about 100% faster and makes uploading pictures from my phone so easy. And by easy, I mean they just wind up there without me lifting a finger.
3. I don’t actually like alcohol.
I just like things that taste like juice and make me feel like dancing.
Case in point, Riesling — and not just any Riesling, it has to be sweet Riesling — is my favorite wine.
4. When you’re having a bad day, a Chipotle lunch break will always make you feel better.
I could pretend writing a resume when you have little work experience and applying for dozens of jobs and barely hearing back isn’t discouraging, but I like to keep it real on the blog. It’s pretty exhausting. So I went to lunch, got what I was craving (a steak bowl!) and felt re-energized. Or just full. Same thing, right?
5. How many times in one week can someone eat fish? At least 3!
I very rarely cook fish, but we made tilapia this week, I ate leftovers yesterday and we went out to Bonefish on Saturday. Guys, how good is Bang Bang Shrimp?!
6. Saturday can sometimes feel like the longest.day.ever.
If you don’t have a job, spent all week “hanging out,” and can’t exactly afford to o spend money all day, Saturday can be pretty boring. I won’t even tell you how much TV I watched.
7. Roasting your own almonds is totally easy.
Why do almonds only come in roasted and salted or raw? I don’t want to have to make a separate trip to Whole Foods just to get roasted and unsalted. Solution: buy raw and roast them yourself! Ten minutes at 350*, cool for an hour and you’re good to go.
8. There are just some things you’ll never understand.
Things I’ll never understand:
• Why Footloose is a classic. I was so bored. Is that bad?
• How I manage to let milk boil over every.single.time. I cook with it.
• How many groceries I can buy while staying within my budget. I need to stop worrying already!
• What “bearded barley” is!
9. Arthur is, in fact, an aardvark.
Apparently this is common knowledge and I now know exactly how to spell aardvark, thanks to this lovely video.
10. Sunday is the best.
If Saturday was a long, slow uneventful day, Sunday was the exact opposite. Run with Joey, Starbucks, grocery, yoga, homemade dinner. Oh, and did I mention our new Sunday morning pancake ritual? It totally reminds me of when I was little and my mom would make pancakes that we would use cookie cutters to shape into a bear and a pig, or used food coloring to make blue or green pancakes.
Aaaand, now I have a “Pancakes!” board on Pinterest for future “Pancake Sundays.”