Chocolate Banana Cupcakes in a Flash
Yesterday I was feeling a bit antsy (writing for 2 solid hours will do that to ya) and was suddenly struck with the desire to bake. The only problem was, I didn’t have much time. Because going on an outdoorsy run was on the afternoon schedule and there was no way I was taking a rain check because it was perfect running weather (aka cloud cover, moderate temps and no wind).
So I consulted my dear dear friend, Foodgawker. Because when you need a recipe, Foodgawker is the ultimate place to go.
I came across a chocolate banana cupcake recipe within a matter of seconds and had everything it called for on hand. A trip to the grocery store was not an option!
I used this recipe and made the following modifications:
- 1/2 cup sugar instead of a full cup
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder instead of 3/8 cup (what kind of measurement is that anyways?!)
- almond milk instead of moo cow milk
- no canola oil
**I didn’t use oil simply because I forgot, but if I were to make these again I would use the oil to increase the moistness level.
Excuse the blind shadows, like I said, I was in a hurry
I was praying that these didn’t fall like a certain red cupcake I know.
And when they didn’t I breathed a giant sigh of relief. Really.
In fact, just the opposite occurred. Check out that cupcake giant in the front row!
Although the recipe also came with a peanut butter brown sugar butter cream frosting recipe, I opted to use another peanut butter-less recipe. Why, you ask? Remember how my nut butter supply is dwindling? Yeah, that’s why.
This problem will be taken care of tomorrow. Promise.
I used this frosting recipe, except I halved it and reduced the sugar to 1/4 cup. Note to self, if you mix butter cream frosting by hand and in a rush, the butter won’t fully mix/melt. Ooops.
Oh and contrary to popular belief, a ziplock bag totally functions as a frosting gun.
What I learned from this experience:
- Cupcakes can successfully be made in under an hour
- I need a mixer. Just kidding those are expensive…
- Pay attention, even if you’re in a rush, lest you forget an ingredient
- No pastry bag, no problem!
- Older bananas mash much easier than new ones…
- It doesn’t matter how subpar you think you’re baked goods are, when you bring cupcakes into work, everyone will jump all over you to get one. Or two. Or three.
P.S. I wanted to ask you all what you think about blog posting schedules. Do you post at the same time everyday. Are you more apt to read a blog that posts at the same time daily?