Apple Pie Oatmeal Bake & a Cupcake Disaster Story

February 16, 2011

Remember how good those homemade red velvet cupcakes looked?  You don’t?  Let me refresh your memory.

I’m drooling, how about you?  There are few things in this world better than my mom’s red velvet cake.  For years I thought I didn’t like it but then I had a revelation and realized it may be my favorite cake ever.  Move over Betty Crocker, you’re funfetti cake has met its match.

Valentine’s Day seemed like the perfect time to pull out the recipe and try my hand at making my own cupcake version.

Friends, I don’t know what happened but it was not good.  Upon opening the oven I found a pile of caved in red cake batter.  I made these with my mom mind you and neither of us could understand what had happened.

If you’re an experienced baker, please enlighten me.  We had a few ideas.

• New oven that we’d never baked a cake in — maybe the temperature was off
  • Old baking soda
  • Old vinegar — we’re talking years here
  • New bag of flour

It occurred to me that I should have snapped a picture of the disaster or at least a picture of my mom and I sitting on the floor in front of the oven as we watched a second batch fall but alas, I never think of these things at the time.

Believe me, it wasn’t pretty.  Although I think my mom still ate about 3.

Flour, vinegar and baking soda were all re-purchased and thankfully the second batch came out perfectly fine.  I maintain that they worked because I actually had no hand in making them.  I must be bad luck :(

In the end, I had a homemade batch of cupcakes (even if they weren’t homemade by me) and that’s all that really matters, right?

Lucky for me, my Valentine’s Day breakfast was much more successful.  I’m much better at baking with oatmeal.

Baked Apple Pie Oatmeal:

• 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 banana
  • 1/2 apple of your choice, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon maple syrup
  • 1 flax egg
  • 1 teaspoon chia seeds
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3 tablespoons almond milk
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Mix 1 tablespoon ground flax with 3 tablespoons water and let sit for 5 minutes to make a flax egg.
  3. Mash banana with the back of a fork.
  4. Add remaining ingredients and the flax egg and mix.
  5. Pour into a greased ramekin or any other small baking dish and bake for 30 minutes.

I’ve made a similar breakfast bake before and it came out much sturdier than this one.  I thought I’d made a mess when I flipped it out of the ramekin but I flipped it back over and much to my delight it looked completely fine.

Conversation hearts are my favorite :)

All this bake needed was some nut butter on top.  It was sweet enough thanks to the addition of the maple syrup, although drizzling it on top might be more fun :P

Melty chocolate hazelnut buttery loooove.

Email me?  The messages on these candies are so funny.  I wish they had one that said “Comment me.”

Nut butter waterfalls are always welcome.

I’m so glad I got my workout done that morning so I could enjoy my dinner date with my Valentine after work :)

P.S. Thank you all so much for the wonderful comments on my guest post.  I was glad to see your homemade ravioli fears put to rest :)

Hope you’re all having a good day!

About these ads
  1. February 16, 2011 8:53 AM

That’s why I like cooking more than baking. Cooking is so much more forgiving. Half the time I mess up a baking recipe, I have absolutely no idea what went wrong and that bugs the crap out of me. I think things are especially weird us since we live at high altitude….throws another curveball into this whole baking thing. And yes! The candy hearts are absolutely hilarious. I found one yesterday that said “Friend me.” As in facebook friend me. Gosh candy hearts, you are so hip and “with it.” Nothing says romance quite like “friend me.” Lol!

2. February 16, 2011 9:20 AM

I’m thinking that it was probably a combination of the old baking soda and old vinegar! Although, I have been using super old (we’re talking years) baking soda and I haven’t had any collapsing baked goods, so I don’t know! I don’t think it’s your fault, though! :)

I have never made baked oatmeal, but it looks delicious, I’m just afraid it won’t fill me up as good as a big bowl of oatmeal!

I want to eat that nut butter waterfall!

• February 16, 2011 3:01 PM

If you add enough toppings it’s easily as filling as a bowl of oatmeal, I promise!

3. February 16, 2011 9:22 AM

Hmmm, I don’t know what that could be from. I do think vinegar goes bad and maybe baking soda, but the flour is throwing me off.

Most of my kitchen disasters I can pinpoint the reason…like forgetting an ingredient, say salt, and adding it in at the end…gross!

• February 16, 2011 3:00 PM

Ha ha! My sister once made a pumpkin pie and forgot to add the sugar…

4. February 16, 2011 10:51 AM

Your oatmeal bake looks delicious! The conversation hearts always crack me up. My favorite was always “Got cha,” but if they put out a “Like” this! or “tweet me” one I’m going to love it :)

5. February 16, 2011 11:04 AM

We all have our moments in the kitchen that is for sure! I can’t tell you how many times I have tried to bake up a recipe, looks pretty, tastes like blah! I just continue to move on and tweak until I find what I like. Glad to know that you finally had your cupcakes…..I love red velvet too :)

6. February 16, 2011 11:06 AM

That breakfast looks amazing – I always want to do breakfast bakes, but I love the gooey ooey’ness of oatmeal on the stovetop too much.

7. February 16, 2011 6:05 PM

I’m not sure what your little mishap could have been from. Although at least your second batch came out great. They seriously look amazing. That oatmeal bake sounds great too! I’ve actually never tried baking oatmeal, but that might change very soon. :)

8. February 16, 2011 11:43 PM

Oh gosh that nut butter waterfall is making me droooooooool :D

9. September 24, 2012 11:59 AM

Okay, I LOVE apple pie. It’s amazing. And I’m trying to like oatmeal, because it’s good for you, right? This looks amazing, and I have to try it. And the nut butter waterfall looks really tempting… Thanks for the recipe!