Fresh Quinoa & Shrimp Salad
Despite how it may have appeared, I’ve actually yet to post any pictures with my new camera. Mainly because I just bought it less than an hour ago. It’s a Canon Powershot SD1200 and let’s hope it gets the job done!
Today I had to dig up my point and shoot. Check.it.out.
Sometimes all you need to spice up breakfast is a fun bowl, er jar.
Oh and why haven’t I mixed peanut butter into my oats before today?
Peanut Butter Oats in a Jar:
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 teaspoon each of chia seeds and ground flax
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
Topped with granola and coconut butter and served in a jar.
I’m surviving off of sample boxes of Cascadian Farms Dark Chocolate Almond Granola thanks to my 5K last Sunday. I loooove those clusters.
So filling, too.
So how about a recipe?
Fresh Quinoa & Shrimp Salad:
Modified from Former Chef
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 lb. asparagus
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 pound shrimp, cooked
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- the juice of two limes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse quinoa then bring to a boil with 2 cups water then reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes or until fluffy and water is fully absorbed.
- Snap ends off of asparagus, and cook in a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes or until al dente. Remove asparagus and add corn to the water to heat through.
- Cut the asparagus, bell pepper and peeled cucumber then chop the herbs and garlic.
- Whisk together the olive oil, garlic and lime juice then mix the herbs in.
- Mix together shrimp, quinoa, bell pepper, cucumber, corn and asparagus then add the herb dressing and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper and enjoy right away or let chill in the fridge.
I wish these asparagus hadn’t come from Mexico…
Is it just me or is red quinoa 10x more beautiful than white?
I can never remember if it’s parsley or cilantro that I don’t like. It’s definitely parsley but I really enjoyed it in this dish!
I love this picture.
I served it over a bed of spinach. So so tasty. I love the fresh flavors going on in this dish.