Sorry to have pulled a disappearing act on you all weekend! It’s been a busy one, but in the midst of all my activity I DID remember to snap a few pictures.
Shall we start with Friday?
Class was attended, runs were completed, trivia was played — we may or may not have come in 4th… out of 4 — and Mama Pea’s Pumpkin Spice Roasted Chickpeas were consumed.
Nevermind the after picture of these chickies, as the sun had set and the pictures didn’t do justice. Just take my word for it that they were awesome and totally cured my fall food craving.
Saturday began with a trip to the FM, per usual
I took a chance and ordered a breakfast wrap from Tandoori Wraps instead of my usual plate of eggs, polenta and puttanesca sauce from Laudisio’s.
It came with eggs, veggies and curry in a naan wrap, but I was pretty disappointed with it. The veggies were cold so it made the eggs and naan cold and as it turns out carrots and eggs don’t really taste that good together
We picked up a few things and spotted some giant carrots.
Then we watched the Buffs destroy the Rams, huraah! And ended the night with dinner and movie.
My family has been gushing over “Crazy Noodles,” a dish at a restaurant called Tuk Tuk in Westminster so we joined them to try it out.
I hate to admit that I wasn’t too wildly impressed BUT I would call “Crazy Noodles” a solid dish
Eat, Pray, Love, on the other hand, was a disappointment. I thought the story was weird and Julia Roberts kind of annoyed me.
By Sunday I was more than ready to return to oatmeal breakfasts, so Scottish oats is was!
Topped with the most melty almond butter EVER, 1/2 a banana, mixed berry compote, granola and cocoa nibs.
Joey allowed me to serve him up my new favorite sandwich combo: pesto, tomatoes, grilled bell pepper + cheese. Mine was open face with a peach, yummmm!
The end of the day went a little something like this: run, eat, sleep. And all in about 3 hours. The 7 miler really took a toll on me this time. We finished in 1:09 — a minute faster than last time
Dinner was EXcellent!!
Sweet Potato + Black Bean Burritos with Cashew Cheese (from Clean Food)
This was a no-brainer since Joey and I are down for anything in burrito form AND we had just picked up some tortillas at the FM.
Sweet Potato + Black Bean Burritos with Cashew Cheese
- 1/4 cup unsalted cashews
- 1/8 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 T canola oil
- 1.5 sweet potatoes
- 1.5 T fresh squeezed lime juice
- 3/4 cup cooked black beans
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1/2 large tomato, diced
- 4 flour tortillas (the original called for corn)
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup corn (we used fresh)
- Preheat oven to 400* and bake [cleaned] sweet potatoes until soft [about 45min]. We cut these into thirds and let the pieces cook while we ran.
- Grind cashews in a food processor. Then, process with the nutritional yeast until just combined. Add oil and process until just moistened. If processed too long it will become dough-like.
- Cook corn. We snapped a cob in half then brought a pot of water to boil, turned off the water, added the corn and let it sit for 10 minutes, then sliced the kernels off.
- Peel potatoes and mash with lime juice.
- Fold in beans, onion, and tomato.
- Spoon filling into each burrito, roll and place seem side down in a baking dish.
- Cover with salsa and broil for about 3min.
- Add corn + cashew cheese and broil for about 2 more minutes. Watch closely so the “cheese” does not burn.
I’m not going to lie, I let Joey take over the entire cooking of this meal while I showered and proceeded to pop the 5 blisters on each foot that I had from our run — NOT fun!
These were the perfect blend of sweet, savory and sour with the lime juice.
I ate one, then immediately passed out on the couch. I know, I’m such a blast. I really wish I had stayed awake long enough to eat a second one because I woke up around 3 AM and was starving!! Like I said, 7 miles took its toll!
Have a lovely Labor Day!
By the way, now that the sun is setting earlier what do you all do about taking pictures at night without natural light?? My dinner pictures are seriously suffering!