How to redeem yourself from a run failure: Up your mileage and dominate it! Such is what I decided to do today. My training called for another week exactly like the last two: 2 3-mile runs, 1 2-mile, and 1 4-mile. So boring, so I decided to do 2 3.5-milers, 1 2-miler and a 5-miler. Take that, mental aversion to running!!
- Mile 1 – 9:20 Note: I may or may not have pretended it was the half marathon and high-fived a few tall weeds as I ran past…
- Mile 2 – 9:04
- Mile 3 – 8:57
- Mile 3-3.5 – 4:37 (9:15 pace)
- Total = 31:59 boo-ya!
Yesterday’s eats and massage must have paid off!
Mid-afternoon, Joey and I shared a Chocolate Chip Brownie Larabar and it was just heavenly. Healthy never tasted so good.
Curried Shrimp and Rice (adapted from here):
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 lb. shrimp
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2.5 cups chicken broth
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3t curry powder
- 2T olive oil
- 1/4t pepper
- 2t dried basil
- Poke sweet potato several times with a fork, place on a cookie sheet and bake for 40 minutes on 350
- Cut potato into 1″ cubes, removing the skin
- Heat oil in a pan, add onion, garlic, carrots, potato, cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add curry, rice, broth and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce to low, cover and simmer 15 minutes
- Add shrimp, cover and cook 7 more minutes until shrimp look opaque
- Sprinkle with basil, dig in!
The recipe called for russet potatoes and white rice but I thought sweet potatoes and brown rice would be better. Yum yum, I LOVE curry!
I also love evening walks in the summer, which is what followed dinner It’s nice to get up and move around after eating a big o’ bowl of curry.
Now on to this morning’s breakfast – is this post all over the place or what today?
A glorious run deserves a glorious post-run breakfast, hence the return of the oatmeal pancake (Kath’s recipe)
I topped this bad boy with banana slices (I probably used 1/2 a banana in all — some mashed into the batter, the rest on the top), PB sauce (1T PB + 1T almond milk, microwave 30 seconds, stir, pour), mixed berry compote and peach jam. I ended up swirling all the toppings together and it was so magical, sighhh
I crossed off ALL the things on my to-do list today and am in a blissful mood
And with that I’m off, see you all tomorrow!